4 Sushi Rolls (4-6 servings)
Ingredients for Spicy Miso Paste:
1/4 cup light or dark miso
1 teaspoon chili paste of Arissa
2 Tbs. Sesame oil
Ingredients for Sushi Maki
4 Nori sheets
1 cup alfalfa or sunflower sprouts
2/3 avocado, sliced thinly
1 green onion, chopped
2/3 red bell pepper cut into stripes
1 cucumber cut into thin stripes
1 carrot cut into thin stripes
1/4 red cabbage thinly sliced.
Ingredients for dipping and garnish
1/4 cup tamari soy sauce
1 Tbs. Wasabi paste (mix wasabi powder with a little water)
1.1/2 teaspoons sesame seeds for garnishing.
Pickled ginger (ginger julienned and marinated in apple cider vinegar)
1. To make Spicy Miso Paste, combine the miso, chili paste, and sesame oil.
2. Lay one sheet of nori on a bamboo sushi mat shiny side down. Using the back of a teaspoon, lightly spread approximately 1 tsp of the Spicy Miso Paste on the nori sheet.
3. At the end of the nori sheet closest to you, layer the sprouts, bell pepper, avocado, cucumber, and carrots. Then roll the sushi: first, grip the edge of the nori sheet and the sushi mat with your thumbs and forefingers, and press the filling back with your other fingers. Using the mat to help you, roll the front end of the nori over the filling. Give it a squeeze with your mat, and then lift the mat and continue rolling. Seal the end of the nori roll with a little water.
4. Cut the roll into 6 equal pieces using a very sharp knife or a serrated knife.
5. Repeat with the remaining 3 nori sheets. Serve with tamari and/or wasabi. Garnish with sesame seeds, if desired.