Diabetes is a condition that is affected by several factors, among which is obesity and overweight.
According to data from The American Health Institute, more than 65% of the adults in America are overweight. In recent years there is an increase in the percentage of people suffering from this problem. Overweight increases the risk for developing health problems such as heart condition, stroke, certain kinds of cancer, and diabetes.
The percentage of diabetic patients in the world is in a rise. The American Diabetes Association estimates that approximately 21 million people are diagnosed as diabetic, and 54 million people are diagnosed as pre-diabetic.
This is a condition whereby the body cells become immune and resist insulin, and blood sugar levels are higher than normal. This is a high risk for diabetes, even though it is not yet defined as diabetes.
Obesity and Insulin Resistance
In type 2 diabetes there is an insulin resistance. Insulin is the hormone carrying glucose to the cells. When one is overweight, the body becomes less sensitive to the insulin which is secreted from the pancreas. There are indications that fat cells are more resistant to insulin than muscle cells. If one has more fat than muscle cells, the Insulin becomes less efficient and remains in the blood stream instead of turning into a cellular energy source.
Obesity is a contributor to the formation of diabetes.
Give up the fat – get rid of the risk
Researches indicate that there is a considerable change in people who lose 7 percent of their body weight. For a great number of people it means 4-5 kgs. For diabetes patients too, such a gradual weight loss may slow down progress of diabetes. Blood pressure, as well as cholesterol levels may also improve with such a rate of weight loss.
The question asked is not only how much one weighs, but what is one’s level of consciousness to one’s weight when they are already in high risk. People with conditioned overweight (“apple shape”) may suffer from more medical conditions than people with a pear shape (waist and hips). The same low level of consciousness towards their weight will ultimately lead them to diabetes.
Live healthy – live longer
In addition to several other health risks, overweight or obesity is also associated with gall bladder problems, arthritis, pulmonary diseases such as shortness of breath (or sleep apnea), or different liver diseases. The levels of risk vary according to the weight loss or weight stability. Diabetes as a disease carries within itself additional problems, so that anybody suffering from obesity, suffers from multiple problems.
Diabetes Risk Factors
The risk factors for diabetes and pre-diabetes are the same:
– overweight and obesity
– family history
– an early diagnosis of diabetes in pregnancy
– signs and symptoms of pre-diabetes.
Diabetes – hardly any early signs. Can be detected in a routine check-up of blood sugar levels. Normal value is considered below 100-125. One can conclude that these are problematic sugar levels during a fast or while in a pre-diabetes condition. Values exceeding 126 are considered type 2 diabetes.
Prevention of type 2 diabetes
A healthy life style could reduce the risk level and improve the way the body uses insulin. A low fat, low calory diet helps reduce excess weight.
In diabetes, the less fat tissue and more muscle tissue there are in the body – the less insulin resistance.
Physical activity will also aid in losing weight, as well as balance blood sugar levels – by converting sugar into energy.
Pay attention to the following signs and symptoms which indicate diabetes:
1) Frequent urination: do you “run” to the bathroom frequently? This is one of the signs of diabetes – due to the high levels of sugar in the blood. If the insulin metabolism is not effective, the kidneys cannot return the glucose back into the blood stream. They become overactive and try to pump more fluids out of the blood stream, in order to dilute the glucose. This causes fast refilling of the urinary bladder and results in frequent urination.
2) A particularly great thirst: if you feel that you drink more than usual, but the thirst continues, it might be a sign of diabetes, especially if the symptom is accompanied by frequent urination; when your body excretes more fluids than normal, you might reach a feeling of dehydration, a need to drink more frequently than usual, in order to regain the fluids that you lost.
3) Weight loss deriving not from any special diet: this symptom will occur more in type 1 diabetes. The pancreas stops producing insulin, sometimes because of a virus which attacks the pancreatic cells or because of an autoimmune reaction which impedes the insulin production. The body looks for an alternative source of energy, because the receptors in the cells do not respond to insulin. This situation starts causing a weakening of the muscles and fat tissues in order to get the energy from them. In type 2 diabetes this occurs together with an increase in insulin intolerance level. Reducing weight in these cases is not meaningful, however, it occurs gradually.
4) Weakness: the glucose is secreted to the blood stream in order to enable insulin to transfer it to the cells. The cells use it for energy. When the cells do not react to insulin, the glucose remains outside the blood cells. These blood cells are “hungry” for energy, and then a weakness, and fatigue attack the body. Indeed, diabetes causes a general feeling of weakness.
5) Tingling and numbness in the hands, legs and feet: this is called neuropathy. It occurs mainly in cases of a high sugar level, and damages the nervous system, especially in the limbs. Type 2 diabetes occurs gradually, and often people are unaware of it. Their blood sugar level is likely to be high, years before the diagnosis is made. In actuality, nerve damage may occur – unnoticed. A significant improvement of neuropathy will occur as a result of lowering of blood sugar level. Diabetes will also affect our physical sensations.
6) Additional signs and symptoms: blurred vision, dry skin and boils which heal very slowly. Whereas these symptoms are attributed to diabetes, they are a result of high glucose levels in the body.
If you recognize these symptoms, see your general practitioner right away, so that he/she can give you further instructions.
Mitzpe Alummot Health Retereat
Mitzpe Alummot gives you a special opportunity to take care of problems in a natural way. We have great results, based on our experience in this field and on 50 years of experience by the Hippocrates Health Institute in the U.S.
Raw Food – a great solution to diabetes
Raw food is excellent for diabetes, because it is rich in enzymes which contribute energy and reinforce the immune system. A fiber rich nutrition slows down glucose elevation in the blood and it consists mainly of low glycemic index foods, a daily consumption of wheat grass juice (twice a day), reduces blood sugar levels, improves digestive process and purifies the blood, the kidneys, the liver and the guts. Wheat grass juice aids in convalescence and in healing of the skin.
Our Diet and its relation to diabetes
Our special raw food diet aids in detoxyfing the body and helps in transitioning to a right and healthier diet – based on the natural healing philosophy of Ann Wigmore. We offer many workshops and lectures on positive thinking, guided imagination, yoga, meditation, breathing techniques, Qi-Kong, as well as nature walks in a beautiful serene atmosphere. We have a great experience with diabetes patients, and we can teach you a great and natural way to deal with this condition.
The Ann Wigmore philosophy, by which we work, regards the body, the mind and the spirit as one whole. This method offers a natural way of living, which helps prevent different ailments, while providing the tools to conquer disease. The philosophy of Mitzpe Alummot follows the teachings of Hippocrates and Maimonides – “Let your food be your medicine and your medicine be your food”. According to this philosophy, we teach our guests to take responsibility for their own health.
הרשמו למגזין שלנו וקבלו ספר מתכונים דיגיטלי איכותי
אנו שולחים חדשות ועדכונים פעם בחודש. בניוז שלנו תקבלו תוכן איכותי מאד שנכתב על ידי הצוות המקצועי שלנו.
“טבעוני-לי” הוא הדרך שלנו לעזור לך לסגל ולשמר אורח חיים בריא יותר, אנרגטי יותר ושליו יותר. מגזין “טבעוני-לי” הוא הדרך שלנו לשמור איתך על קשר ולעדכן אותך על מה חדש אצלנו. בנוסף, “טבעוני-לי” הוא מגזין עם הפתעות(!) לכן אנו נשמח להעניק לך מגוון הנחות ומבצעים מיוחדים, טיפים, המלצות ומתכונים שונים כל חודש דרך המגזין.